Marital Mediation…A better Option
What is marital mediation and who is it for?
Marital mediation is a mediation process for couples who are experiencing conflict, disagreements and disconnection, BUT are committed to their marriage and wish to stay together and avoid divorce. Marital mediation offers couples a better solution to resolving their differences and finding peace than the typical divorce scenario.
In marital mediation, couples jointly develop a plan for addressing their marital issues and learn new ways of being a more cohesive, intimate and connected team.
How does marital mediation work?
Marital mediation works best with couples who are committed to their marriage relationship and who are willing to be actively engaged in developing, implementing and maintaining a more interconnected and mutually satisfying couplehood.
Couples who participate in marital mediation work with a trained mediator who uses conflict resolution strategies, to help the couple create options, break impasses and build communication skills. It is a practical and superior process for helping couples resolve conflict, deepen intimacy and build safety.
How do we know if marital mediation is right for us?
Marital mediation is a viable option for any couple committed to their marriage, parenting children, wanting to avoid the financial impact of divorce and who want to avoid the emotional and mental distress of breaking the bond between themselves and their partner.
Marital mediation can help couples manage job losses, survive bankruptcy, care for an elderly parent, manage financial problems and create a vision for the future. Marital mediation helps you separate the problem from the relationship, explore possible options, develop a plan and resolve the conflict.
The Benefits of Martial Mediation
- Partners feel more confident about their ability to work through problems.
- Partners have an opportunity to tell their story.
- Partners learn to improve their communication skills.
- Partners feel seen and heard in the relationship.
- Partners develop a team mentality.
- Partners feel empowered as they set their own agenda and reach agreement.
- Marital mediation is cost effective.
- Marital mediation is generally short-term and can be utilized at the couple’s discretion.
How Divorce Impacts Your Life
- Divorce is expensive.
- Divorce is emotionally and mentally draining.
- Divorce seldom solves or reduces conflict.
- Divorce opens the door to complex blended and remarriage problems.
- Divorce recovery is often incomplete.
- Divorcing couples tend to take their unresolved problems into their next relationship.
- Children must grapple with the division of their home, a loss of stability and anxiety.
- Divorce seldom delivers on the promise of personal freedom, decreased stress or improved mental wellness.
As a relationship specialist and marriage and family therapist, I work with couples everyday. I understand the complexities of couple relationships and know the importance of helping partners feel seen, heard and validated. As a registered domestic mediator, I am uniquely positioned to help you compassionately, assertively and realistically evaluate your couplehood, set an agenda, consider options and find resolution to to the issues that matter most to you.Teresa M. Walters,
Lets get started today!
Even committed couples have times of conflict and disconnection.
Learn how marital mediation can offer a better solution.
Resolve Conflict | Build Skills | Stay Married